Thursday, January 04, 2007

Baking Equipment

This is a pineapple cookie cutter. There is a 'button' at the top end of this device, where you push. The grooves then stamp out a pattern on the cut out dough. I prefer the other type that consists of two parts - one that cuts out the dough and the other creates a dent in the middle of the dough. Because it is easier to control the thickness of the cut-out shape and how deep a dent and pattern I want to create. (Go to www.boostprints.com/recipe to see a picture of a two-part pineapple cookie cutter.)

I've had both types of rolling pins for a long time, but I tend to favour the one without the handles (the one on the left). That's because it gives me a better 'feel' of the thickness of the dough. And it's easier to wash too!


The above is a flat plastic scraper, which can be used to scrape off cut out shapes from rolled dough. It's also great for scraping cake batter from a mixing bowl, so there is no wastage.


The flat metallic scraper (above) is also perfect for scraping and lifting cut-out cookie shapes. It was given to me by my mum and it's absolutely indispensable when I bake rolled-out cookies! I also use it to cut and divide dough (especially when I make steamed dim sum 'bao').

Both types of scrapers are available at most supermarkets and baking needs stores.

I use quite a lot of greaseproof paper to line my baking trays. The paper prevents the baked tarts/cookies from sticking to the tray. It also slows the spreading and thinning of the cookies in the oven, thus helping them to retain their shapes. And greaseproof paper helps make washing the trays easier too!

I found the above Waitrose brand greaseproof paper at Cold Storage Jelita(kitchenware aisle). Just look at the thickness of the roll! And it costs only a few dollars. The best greaseproof paper bargain I've ever found! And it's good quality too.

I bought my disposable plastic piping bags from a Phoon Huat store. It's thicker than the usual plastic bag - that makes piping easy. An alternative to piping bags is the ziploc bag (above right) because it's thicker too. HDPE plastic bags (above left) can be used as a piping bag too, but since it's thinner, it's a little harder to control. However, with a little practice, it can function well as a piping bag. Simply push some dough to a bottom corner, and snip off a small bit of plastic (at that same corner). Twist the top of the bag and you're all ready to pipe!

No comments: