Friday, June 22, 2007

My second book - Delicious Asian Baked Treats

My latest cookbook has just been launched !! It's out on sale at retail stores in Singapore and is sold on the publisher's website http://www.boostprints.com/



The ingredients used in the recipes to contain NO lard/pork and NO trans fat. These recipes can be used by readers who do not eat pork, and also for those who are trying to avoid trans fat (what with all the bad press it's been getting). Trans fat is the unhealthy stuff that's in hydrogenated and partially hydrogenated fats eg. margarine. It reduces the good cholesterol in our bodies.



So the only fats I use in my recipes are butter and cooking oil.



A sample recipe (rich sugee cake) is posted on http://www.boostprints.com/ Go to the website and click on the picture of my book to view the recipe. It's a really yummy cake which I had spent several hours experimenting in the kitchen.




Here's the back cover. I tried to squeeze in as many pictures as I could. Pictures speak volumes. And they make the back cover so much prettier than just words.


The books are individually wrapped and cost S$4.95 each (inclusive of postage delivery in Singapore) At $4.95, it's actually the same price as the retail store's. In other words, it's free delivery if bought online!! Visit http://www.boostprints.com/ to buy the book. But for overseas orders, there will be a postage charge. It comes up to US$5.95 per copy (inclusive of postage).

I really love this whole publishing book business and plan to come up with more titles to add to my 'Delicious Asian Treats' series. I get to decide on the title, recipes, photographs and the general look of the book. It's really exciting especially when I get my hands on the first printed copy.

If you have any ideas for my future publications, do drop me a mail at this blog or at mail@boostprints.com.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Oilin

Finally your second book is out!! Have been waiting for this book...

I received your" Delicious Asian Baked Treats " yesterday...am soo happy but I have some queries for you, hope you can clear my doubts =D

(1) Pg 7 " Soft Sponge Cake"
I can use pandan essence to make pandan sponge cake, but will the essence cause a bitter aftertaste? or do u tink i can omit it?

(2) Pg 19 "almond cookies"
Can I omit the Ghee? and replace with butter??

Huggss
Philia

O.L. said...

Dear Philia,
Thank you for purchasing the book.

Soft Sponge Cake: If used in small amounts (according to the recipe), pandan essence will not leave a bitter aftertaste. In fact, it will enhance the coconut flavour in the cake. This is because the flavours of coconut and pandan marry very well!

I recommend the pandan essence from Phoon Huat stores (go to www.phoonhuat.com to check for locations of their stores in Singapore). Their pandan essence is the thick variety - it is superbly fragrant! (Their vanilla essence is also fantastic - thick and sweet.)

Almond cookies: I use ghee (instead of butter) in quite a lot of my nut cookies because I want them to have an Asian flavour. The taste of ghee is rather different from that of butter. Because ghee does not contain milk (unlike butter), it allows the nutty flavour to shine through.

The ghee in this recipe can be replaced by butter, but the cookies probably will not taste the same. To bring out the almond flavour, I still recommend using ghee in these cookies.

I usually buy the ghee sold in green cans (available at Fairprice supermarkets in Singapore; at the baking needs section).

Do write again if you have more questions. I'll be glad to answer them.

Take care and happy baking, Philia!

Warm regards,
Oi Lin
Author of 'Delicious Asian Baked Treats'.

Anonymous said...

Hi Oi Lin

Great book, I was so happy to see the recipe for flaky egg tarts as I've been searching for it for ages. But I had lots of problems with the pastry. I'm hoping you can shed some light:

1. I divided both the oil and water dough into 16 parts, but it seems the oil dough is a little too much to enclose comfortably in the water dough. I reduced it a little, after a while. Should I not have done that?

2. My oil dough kept leaking out of the water dough. I couldn't seem to get the water dough sealed tightly enough to keep the seam from opening up and the oil dough from leaking out. Also, no matter how gently I rolled, the oil dough would burst through.

3. After baking, the pastry turned out hard and crisp, not flaky and melt-in-the mouth. Too much handling?

I know this is due to my terrible technique, but what's the secret of keeping the oil dough within the water dough and getting the pastry tender and flaky?

Also, it took such a long time to to the whole puff-pastry routine for EACH piece of dough. Would it work if, as for puff pastry, the entire oil dough can be enclosed in the entire water dough and the whole thing rolled and folded twice before cutting out?

Thanks so much for any additional tips you can provide. I'm very keen to get the flaky tart pastry right!

Oi Lin said...

Hi! Yes, I do understand your frustration in wanting to get it right for the egg tart pastry. It certainly isn't an easy pastry to master! If the oil dough seems too much to wrap in the water dough, go ahead and reduce the amount to the point where it can be wrapped in the water dough. It's OK even if the oil dough bursts out a little of the water dough, but if it is very unmanagable, it could be because the water dough is too dry or too wet. If the water dough is too dry, add a little more water to it. If it is too wet, add a little flour.
Yes, it is true that too much dough handling will cause the pastry to turn out tough and hard. Yes, you certainly can cut down on the steps by wrapping the entire oil dough in the water dough. If you have a large work space, you can do that. However, some readers do not have large kitchen counter tops or large tables, and would find it difficult to roll out a huge piece of dough, or they may find it cumbersome to handle. If you have a big enough work space, then go for it!! Some bakers use shortening or lard in their oil dough. This does make the pastry flaky and light. However, as far as possible, I try not to use shortening because it contains trans fat and I feel uncomfortable making egg tarts with this ingredient and giving them to my family to eat. Also, lard is not easy to obtain, and also for health reasons, I avoid it. Butter and margarine will melt at room temperature and make the dough extremely hard to handle. So the best ingredient is cooking oil. If you are OK with shortening and lard, you cna replace oil with these ingredients. It will probably make the pastry even flakier and lighter.
Wishing you success in your egg tart making!!
Regards, Oi Lin