Thursday, August 09, 2007

Ang Ku Kueh



Play the above video if you have broadband connection.

Play this video if you are connecting through dial-up.

Here, I'm preparing Ang Ku Kueh with peanut filling. I'm using a wooden mould which needs to be greased often with cooking oil during use. This makes it easier to knock out the kueh. If you do not wish to knock the mould against the edge of a bowl (like I did in the video), you can hit it against a sturdy table or kitchen countertop instead.


Here's the finished product. I'm still working on the recipe, because I want the 'skin' to be thinner. The peanut filling was rather difficult to wrap; it caused the skin to fall apart! So I had to use more skin dough to wrap the filling. I'll have to keep experimenting till I get it right.


Here are the wooden moulds I have. The one on the right was bought from a Phoon Huat store; the one on the left belongs to my aunt. I love using moulds made of wood because they have a more 'authentic' and 'rustic' feel. The downside is that I have to brush it with cooking oil often during use, so that it is easy to knock the kueh out.


An alternative are these plastic moulds (from Phoon Huat). There are two sizes. I like using the smaller one. It makes smaller kueh that is easier to pop into the mouth, but small kueh is harder to wrap. The good thing about using a plastic mould is that the kueh doesn't stick much to it (so no need to keep greasing it). That makes it easier to knock the kueh out. The not-so-good-thing about it is that the pattern grooves are not 'deep', so after the kueh is steamed, the pattern is not very clear.


The above article appeared in The Sunday Times lifestyle section on 5 Aug 07. It featured Singaporeans who have published their own books or produced their own CDs. And I am so grateful and honoured to be included in the article. The responses have been overwhelming! Thank you to all who bought my books and wrote to me.

Thank you for your encouraging and uplifting words.

6 comments:

MayMay said...

Hello, here's a tip from my friend but I've not tried it yet. Soak the WOODEN mould only in vinegar (diluted), and it should be easier to knock out the pastry & prevent it from sticking too much. My fren gave me this tip while I was trying to knock out my mooncakes :)

Oi Lin said...

Dear Maymay,
Thank you for that helpful tip. I will certainly try it out!

Regards,
Oi Lin

Baking Yummies said...

Hi Oi Lin,

Loved your book. I have tried out the recipe for the Ang Ku Kueh and made it with coconut filling. However, the skin seems very oily like , look very much like jade. The dough was pretty soft, Should I add more flour to make it more managable? Could you also give me the peanut filling recipe?

Thanks
Camie

Oi Lin said...

Dear Baking Yummies, thank you for your kind compliment! As for the ang ku kueh, if the skin seems too oily, you can try reducing the amount of oil by half. I'm not sure about adding more glutinous flour. Perhaps you can try sprinkling a little of it on the dough just to make it easier to handle. Avoid adding too much flour, or it may make the dough very chewy.
Here's the peanut recipe: Get 120g raw peanuts (can buy from Fairprice or Cold Storage dried foods section, $1.00 plus for a packet) and toast them in a PREHEATED oven (180 degrees Celsius) for 13 minutes or more till the nuts are golden brown and smell great. Grind in a food processor with 100g fine sugar. Add water (1 tsp at a time) to the mixture and stir till it becomes a paste and can be formed into balls. Don't add too much water or the filling will become watery.
Have fun making ang ku kueh!!
Regards, Oi Lin

Baking Yummies said...

Hi Oi Lin,

Thank you very much for your advise and recipe. Can I also check how you tell if it is cooked? I am not sure if we can oversteam the kueh?

Regards

Oi Lin said...

Hi,
When the kueh has turned a darker shade, it is cooked and reayd to be taken out of the steamer. Oversteaming the kueh makes it lose its decorative pattern.