Thursday, August 02, 2007

Kueh Bangkit


video

video


Here's a video of me making Kueh Bangkit. It was shortened to make it suitable for posting on this blog. Enjoy!!


I must add that Kueh Bangkit is a rather 'temperamental' cookie to make. Because much depends on the type of coconut milk you use - fresh or packaged. And different brands of coconut milk give varying results too. You should also buy tapioca flour from stores that have a high turnover, so that you know the flour is fresh. Don't depend on the expiry date. Sniff the flour before using it. If it smells 'off', it will certainly affect the taste of the cookies.


A note to all Kueh Bangkit bakers: If you add tapioca flour too quickly or all at once to your egg mixture, the dough may turn out dry and hard. If that is the case, add a little extra coconut milk to it. But if you add the flour in too slowly or gradually, the dough may turn out wet and difficult to handle. If so, then add more tapioca flour.


To conclude, use your judgement when making Kueh Bangkit. Always have extra coconut milk and tapioca flour when preparing the dough so that you can adjust its texture by adding more of either ingredient. Happy Baking!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just received both yr cookbooks and tried the pandan moist cake today. Came out much better than other recipes I've tried before. Just quick question, if I wish to bake similar texture, but in coffee flavour or lemon/orange flavour, how do I go about adjusting the ingredient? Congrats on your great recipes and I thought they are very easy to understand and best of all, the end result is great! I look forward to trying out more recipes.

Oi Lin said...

Congratulations on your success with the pandan cake!! With regards to your question about coffee and lemon/orange cakes using the pandan cake recipe, I am terribly sorry to say that I have not used the recipe to make other flavoured cakes.
However, you can give the following a try:
1. do away with the pandan leaves
2. replace pandan essence with coffee/lemon/orange essence
3. replace coconut milk with 200ml orange juice (if making orange cake) or water (if making lemon cake) or plain milk (if making coffee cake)
4. If making coffee cake, dissolve 1 teaspoon coffee powder in 1 tablespoon hot water. Let it cool, then add to the plain milk.
5. If making lemon cake, add a tablespoon lemon juice to the 200ml water.
6. Do away with the green food colouring.
7. Reduce the amount of salt to 1/4 teaspoon.
8. For the orange and lemon cake, you can grate some orange/lemon rind (skin of the fruit) into the 200ml water.
You can adjust the amount of sugar according to your taste, but my guess is you'd need more than 250g. Coffee, orange and lemon are slightly bitter flavours and would require more sugar to mask their bitterness.
Hope the above helps. And happy experimenting!

Regards,
Oi Lin

Anonymous said...

Hi Oi Lin

I have tried Kueh Bangkit from book. It turned out a little hard. I did not even used all the 350g flour. Can u tell me why? Thanks

June

Oi Lin said...

Hi June,
What kind of flour did you use?

youfei said...

Hi Oi Lin,

I tried out the kueh bangkit recipe today from your book. the kueh bangkit smelled fantastic. However, it was kinda crispy and a little "hard" on the outside, but still yielded the melt-in-the-mouth texture inside.

I noticed that my dough dried out a little as i was cutting out the shapes. i baked at 140C for 25 min.

overall, it still tasted good, with jus an improvement to the texture would be perfect. =D

your advice is very much appreciated!

regards,
youfei

Oi Lin said...

Hi Youfei,
When making kueh bangkit, I like to keep some extra coconut milk in a bowl by my side. Yes, the dough is a bit temperamental and can get quite dry or too wet. When the dough is too dry, I add coconut milk, and when it's too wet, I add more tapioca flour. I 'adjust' my dough as I go along. It does take a bit of experience to get the keuh bangkit dough right. But judging from what you've described about the results you've got, you are definitely on your way to success!!

youfei said...

Hi Oi Lin,

Thanks for the tips! Having said that, is it ok that i cut out the dough and leave them out while other tray is baking?

Or, do i have to immediately bake them after cutting out to prevent the cut out ones from drying out?

looking forward to your reply!

regards,
youfei

Oi Lin said...

Hi Youfei,
Yes, you can leave the tray of kueh bangkit in the open while the other tray is baking. If you fear that they may dry out while waiting, cover them with a damp cloth.