Friday, September 14, 2007

Pineapple Tarts (Tangerine Style) Method

video

The above video shows me making pineapple tarts – the ‘wrapped’ or ‘closed’ version. I’ve been asked how I make each tart evenly sized and whether I use a machine to do so. Well, I don’t have such a machine. If there is one out there suitable for home bakers (meaning affordably priced!), I would love to get my hands on it! What I do is this: I measure each piece of dough and filling using measuring spoons. For the dough, I use a half tablespoon and a teaspoon for the filling. It’s quite a tedious procedure (as seen in the video) but it does ensure that each tart turns out evenly sized.
A tray of baked pineapple tarts
Cloves

Cloves: The sticking in of the clove (the small black stem-like spice) is done after I glaze the tarts with egg yolk.
Apple-shaped pineapple tarts
Tangerine-shaped pineapple tarts in paper cases
There are two ways of sticking the clove in. One is with the star shape sticking out, so the pineapple tart resembles a tangerine (mandarin orange). The other way is to stick in the clove such that the pineapple tart looks like an apple with a stem. Both patterns are just as pretty (see pictures above). But the ‘apple’-shaped tart is more difficult to pack/stack in cookie jars because the ‘stems’ tend to come off when the jars are moved around a lot.
I love the fragrance of cloves! What’s more, it marries very well with the flavour of pineapple. I usually remove the round ‘bud’ of the clove, give it a light rinse and dry before use in the tarts. To intensify the clove flavour, throw in cloves when cooking pineapple filling. The ratio is one clove to a pineapple.
Small paper cases
Using small paper cases: These small paper cases are great for helping the pineapple tarts preserve their round shape after baking. They also enhance the appearance of the tarts, making them look ‘neat’. Putting the tarts in these cases also make it easier to pack/stack them in containers/jars after baking.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Oilin

Wld like to seek help from u. Do u noe how to get rid of odour in the oven? cos I have not been using my oven for some time, and thats smell in it, hope to get rid of it before I use it.

Hope to hear from u soon
Thanx Oilin

Cheers
Philia

Oi Lin said...

Dear Philia,
You can use the oven-cleaning tip from this website http://www.geocities.com/u_missions/tips-2.htm#B16
Go to the section 'Around the Kitchen' to read on how to remove odour from the oven. There are several other useful tips too!

Warm regards,
Oi Lin

lex said...

Hi Oi Lin,

Do you accept orders for your pineapple tarts, esp since its CNY 2008 soon?

Would love to order your delicious treats! Thanks!

Regards,
Lex

Oi Lin said...

Dear Lex,
Thank you for your compliments!! I am presently swamped with work. My cookbooks and publishing business leave me no time to fulfil mass orders. So I'm terribly sorry about not being able to take orders this year. But thank you again for asking.
May you and your family have a very joyous and prosperous new year!!

Regards,
Oi Lin

cookie said...

Hi Oi Lin,

I baked my tangerine-style pineapple tart in the case but the bottom area (around the case) does not bake through.

I use the large built-in oven and bake at the 180 degree for 20min.

Is there anything I can do about it?

Thanks,
Diana

Oi Lin said...

Dear Diana,
If you want the bottom to bake through, you can try baking it longer than 20 minutes. That will usually work. If you are afraid that the entire tart will dry out, you can adjust your oven setting such that the bottom heating element is on and the top is less hot. One more thing you can try is to make the dough less thick - that is, use less pastry to wrap the pineapple filling. If it's thinner, it will bake through faster.

Regards,
Oi Lin