Thursday, November 22, 2007

Steamed Kaya Buns Recipe 1

Kaya Steamed Buns Experiment 1:

Ingredients:
Part A (skin):
100g Hong Kong Flour (plus extra flour for dusting)
¾ tsp dried yeast
1 and ½ tbsp caster sugar
60ml water (heated to about 45 degrees Celsius)
½ tbsp cooking oil
Part B (filling):
Kaya (coconut egg jam)

Greaseproof paper cut into squares

Here are some of the ingredients I used for today’s buns.

Method:
1. Mix all the ingredients in Part A. Knead till smooth. Add a little more flour if the dough is sticky. Cover dough and leave to rise for an hour.

Video (A): Cutting Bao Dough


2. Cut the dough into 8 pieces as shown in Video (A).

Video (B): Wrapping kaya in dough


3. Wrap the kaya filling in the dough and place on paper squares as shown in Video (B). Cover and leave to rise for an hour.

Video (C): Steaming the buns


4. Steam for 10 minutes as shown in Video (C). This is my trusty Tefal Steam Cuisine Steamer which I use quite often. It converts water to steam in a matter of seconds! I bought it some years back (2004) and it still works well today.


Result: The buns were soft and yummy – a hit with my children who loved them! They were soft even after a few hours at room temperature.

For my next attempt: I wanted the buns to have less ‘holes’ within, so tomorrow I’m going to double the amount of flour. I’ll also try using room temperature water instead of water heated to 45 degrees Celsius. Using room temp water helps cut down on the preparation time because I don't have to heat it up first (I’m always looking for simpler ways!!). Yeast gets activated when it is mixed with water at 45 degrees Celsius. Water that is too cool will not activate it while water that is too hot will 'kill' it. As for room temp water, I'm not sure whether it can activate yeast but I'm going to find out tomorrow.

Flour: I used Bake King's Hong Kong Flour (available in many local supermarkets) today. It's very soft wheat flour that is great for steamed buns. Makes them extra soft!

Yeast: It’s important to use dried yeast that is freshly bought. If you have yeast that has been opened before and is left sitting on your shelves, it will have lost its effectiveness after several months. If you use yeast only once in a while, it’s advisable to store it in the fridge once you open it.

Rolling the dough: I’ve seen how the master dim sum chefs roll the bao dough. They usually use a rolling pin and they roll out the dough in such a way that the outer edges are thinner than the inner part, so that when they gather the edges to wrap the filling, the bottom part of the bao is not too thick. I should try that for my next experiment.

To subscribe: I'll be posting more demo videos of my baking adventures. If you'd like me to inform you by email whenever I update my blog, simply click on 'comments' (below) and type your email address. (Your email address will be kept private and will NOT be published on this blog.) Or you can write to mail@boostprints.com
If you know someone who'd love to learn more about baking through videos, email this blog to him/her by clicking on the 'envelope' symbol below.

2 comments:

sook hun said...

Hi Oi Lin, I'd made the bun this afternoon. However, my buns were hard at the top even at the time before steaming. Could it be that I place the fold-in part at the top instead of at the bottom? I hope you know what I mean. Other than that I think the bun is alright. Thank you!

Oi Lin said...

Dear Sook Hun,
Yes, I perfectly understand what you mean by the fold-in part being at the top. For me, I place the 'fold-in' part at the bottom. This is because I wanted the bao to have a smooth rounded top. However, I'm not sure why your dough is hard before steaming. It should be soft. But anyway, as long as it tastes good in the end, it is a wonderful achievement, because bao is not very easy to make!!