Friday, November 23, 2007

Steamed Kaya Buns Recipe 2

This is my second experiment:
Ingredients:
the skin:
200g Hong Kong Flour
1/2 tsp dried yeast
1 tbsp caster sugar
90ml water at room temperature
1/2 tbsp cooking oil
the filling:
Kaya
Hershey’s mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
Raisins

This time, I used room temperature water instead of warm water – to test if room temperature water will activate dried yeast. I also lessened the amount of yeast and sugar, and doubled the flour.

Method: I used the same steps as stated in my previous post. I mixed all the ingredients for the ‘skin’ and kneaded the mixture till smooth. After kneading the dough, I covered it and let it rise for an hour. After the dough had risen, I re-kneaded it and divided it into 8 parts.

Shaping the buns: In order to make the bottom part of the buns less thick, this time I used a rolling pin to roll out the dough. I tried using one end of the rolling pin to lightly flatten the outer edges of the dough but it just didn’t seem to work!! Perhaps my rolling pin was not of the right shape. I’ve seen rolling pins that are shorter and tapered at the ends. Those will be more suitable. So in the end, I used my fingers to pinch the edges flat. Then I wrapped filling in it. If the above sounds confusing to you, watch the video (A) below.

Video (A): Shaping the buns


Filling: I used kaya again. To make various flavours, I raided my fridge to see what else I could use. Found some raisins and Hershey’s chocolate chips. To make a chocolate chip steamed bun, I rolled out a piece of dough into a longish shape, then sprinkled the chocolate chips on it. Then I rolled it up like a swiss roll. Did the same for the raisin buns. Watch the video (B) below.

Video (B): Chocolate chips and raisins


By the way, the little hand that you see at the top right corner in the video belongs to my little girl (in case you were wondering), who was watching me do the rolling and shaping.


Steaming the buns: I placed the buns much further apart this time round, to give them space to rise and expand during steaming. Used up all three layers of my steamer. The buns were steamed for 10 minutes. When the 10 minutes were up, I left the buns covered in the steamer for another minute before opening the cover halfway to let some of the steam out. This made the buns cool gradually. Cooling gradually helped the buns retain their smooth surfaces. If the buns were subjected to sudden cooling, they would develop crinkly surfaces.

Steamed Bun
Chocolate Chip Bun
Kaya Bun
Results: The buns tasted soft and yummy, just like yesterday’s batch. But I think I should have put in more kaya. Or perhaps I should have made the buns smaller (divide them into 16 pieces instead of 8). As for the chocolate chips, they went well with the buns. Then again, chocolate does go well with lots of things. Once again, I should have been more generous with the filling. Because the dough rose till almost triple its size after steaming, there was so much bun as compared to the amount of chocolate. As for the raisins, somehow they didn’t seem to go with the buns. Perhaps if I had mixed them with the chocolate, that would have worked a lot better!
What about the yeast? Well, it certainly worked with water at room temperature. The dough rose well and the texture of the steamed buns was soft.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Oi Lin, I'm from M'sia. I'm blessed to have found your blog as all your recipes so practical and a healthy choice without using chemical added ingredients. Thank you so much for showing the steps in video. Thank you!