Friday, April 04, 2008

Chocolate Chip Muffins Recipe & Tefal Vitacuisine Steamer



Chocolate Chip Muffin made with chocolate milk
I’ve always liked making muffins. They’re quick and fuss-free. I usually use plain fresh milk as one of the ingredients in my muffins. Just the other day, when I was getting the ingredients ready, I wondered how a chocolate chip muffin would turn out if I used chocolate milk. So I did just that – made a substitution just to see whether it would make the muffin more chocolaty.

Milk: For the muffins, I used the Meiji chocolate flavoured milk. My kids absolutely LOVE this brand.
Flour: I used self-raising flour because since it already contains baking powder, it’s more convenient. Plus I had some leftover in my pantry and I really wanted to finish it up since it’s opened already.
Chocolate chips: I used my last packet of Ghirardelli. (Tried to look for it at Fairprice Finest lately but it was out of stock.)

So my experiment for today is to answer this question: Which gives a better flavor to chocolate chip muffins – plain milk or chocolate-flavoured milk?
Below is my muffin recipe:
Ingredients:
350g self-raising flour
140g unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
170g caster sugar or fine-grained sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
180ml Meiji chocolate milk
About 1 cup (about 180g) semi-sweet chocolate chips
Method:1. Sift flour. Preheat oven till 190°C/375°F. Line a regular-sized muffin tray with paper cases.
2. Cream butter and sugar on medium speed. Add one egg. Mix till incorporated. Add other egg and vanilla essence. Mix till incorporated.
3. Switch mixer to lowest speed. Add 1/3 of flour, then ½ of milk. Repeat this alternating procedure till all the flour and milk are added. Mix till just combined. Do not overmix.
4. Add chocolate chips. Fold gently. Fill the paper cases till about 80% full.
5. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes till golden brown.
Video: Chocolate Chip Muffins


Sturdy baking cases: From the video, you can see that I used a muffin tray as well as the white stand-alone sturdy paper cases. If you are using those (that is, the paper cases that do not need muffin trays), fill them to about half-full with the muffin mixture. If you fill them up with too much mixture, it will overflow out of the cases. If you are using a muffin tray, you can fill each one with more muffin mixture and it probably won’t overflow during baking. This is because a muffin tray ‘cooks’ the mixture more evenly and quickly, thereby solidifying it before it can overflow.
Mixing: After adding in the flour to the cake mixture, do not overmix! Mix till everything’s just combined. If you overdo it, the gluten in the flour starts to strengthen and elasticize, and this will result in tough-tasting and rubbery-textured muffins.
Results: The muffins were soft and delicious. They tasted just as good as when I used plain fresh milk. The crumb had a very slight chocolaty taste but it was overshadowed by the more intense flavor of the chocolate chips. There was, however, a difference in the look of the muffins. Due to the colour of chocolate milk, the muffins had a light brown crumb, instead of a yellow one.
Best eaten today: How long can a muffin keep? Well, muffins REALLY do taste best on the day they are baked. If you plan to eat them the next day, they must be reheated in the microwave for a few seconds so that they regain their soft texture. I baked these muffins on a Sunday afternoon and took them along for a family gathering that very evening.

Question from readers:

So sorry to trouble u again with endless qns on baking. I made the pineapple jam just like yrs and kept it in the fridge for 3 days and took it out to make pineapple tarts. My jam was too soft n too watery(juice) and i can’t even roll it properly. I decided to get the commercial ready-made pineapple jam this year. I would like to check with u whether
( 1) Can I cook this ready-made jam with my own grated pineapples?
(2) Is ready-made jam recommended for only closed kind of pineapple tarts because for open tarts, the jam will be too dry for that.
Hope to hear from u soon. Have a nice day ahead!!
Answer: Yes, you can cook your own homemade pineapple filling with the commercial ones. If you find the commercial one too dry for open tart, you can stir-fry it with a little pineapple juice (eg the 'Lee' brand - available at most local supermarkets at the section where the canned drinks eg. Yeo's drinks are found.) The 'Lee' brand of pineapple juice comes in a red-coloured can. Or you can simply mix in your own homemade pineapple filling with the commercial one to make a less dry filling.

9 comments:

Wendy Tham said...

wt3108@yahoo.com.sg

Hi,

I would like to get updated on your blog & receipt. By the way, can i know from all receipt, normally they are cater for some no. of ppl but if i were to only cater for half of the ppl stated, can i reduce the ingredients to half? Kindly advise.Thx

Anonymous said...

Dear Oilin,
Great Video. I would like to know if I use 125g of butter(the butter sold in the supermarket is usually in 125g or 250g) instead of 140g; what will the proportion of the other ingredients I should use.Can I leave unbaked portions in the fridge and bake them when the first batch of muffins are done.

Thank You very much,
rose

Oi Lin said...

Dear Wendy,
Yes, most of the ingredient proportions in my recipes can be reduced by half.

Regards,
Oi Lin

Oi Lin said...

Dear Rose,
A difference of 15g of butter won't make much difference, so go ahead and use 125 instead of 140g butter. The other proportions of ingredients can be left the same. It's best not to leave the unbaked portions in the fridge because if it becomes cold, you may have to adjust the baking time.

Anonymous said...

Hi Oi Lin

May I know for the choc chips muffins, will the muffins turn out differently if I replace milk with soya milk? Thank you!

Regards
Peiling

Anonymous said...

Hi Oi Lin

Sorry, I've got another question. Can I use brown sugar instead? Will it affect the end result? Thank you!

Regards
Peiling

Oi Lin said...

Hi Peiling,
I've never used soya milk in baking before, so I'm not sure how it'll turn out in terms of taste and texture. If you really must replace milk with another liquid, the safest bet is actually just plain water. The muffins will taste a little less rich but still as yummy.

Oi Lin said...

Hi Peiling,
Brown sugar goes wonderfully with the taste of chocolate, especially dark brown sugar (the soft type). But for the chocolate chip muffin recipe in this post, if you really must replace the white fine sugar, replace it with light brown sugar. This is because in terms of texture, it is closer to white sugar. Dark brown sugar on the other hand is denser and softer; its texture is very different from white sugar.

Jan said...

Hi Oi Lin,

These muffins are delicious! Thank you! I tried using Daisy & Meiji chocolate milk. Meiji has the best flavour and the dough really rises up more in the paper cups than those in the muffin trays. Can I use other fillings like oats, muesli or raisins or berries?