Saturday, May 17, 2008

Oatmeal Cookies Recipe and Sun Biscuits



The following ingredients are found in the premix: flour, oatmeal, sugar, milk powder, flavour and baking powder. This was what I did:


1. Allow a block of butter (250g) to soften at room temperature till it’s quite ‘mashy’.

2. Pour contents of cookie premix into a bowl and mix well. I added some sunflower seeds (green in colour) and pumpkin seeds (light greyish-brown) to make the cookies more nutritious.

3. Mix butter and cookie premix till a dough is formed.

4. Scoop 1 tsp level dough, roll between palms to shape it.

5. Arrange on a baking tray. Preheat the oven till 180°C/350°F and bake for about 16 to 18 minutes till light golden brown.


How the oatmeal cookies tasted: Crunchy, light (‘song cui’) and flavourful! I bought the same cookie premix again and made two bottles of cookies for Mothers' Day celebration.

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies: My kids made these chocolate chip versions and they are really delicious! The baking time is the same as above.
(I did not do a video presentation on the making of these oatmeal cookies because I thought the instructions were simple enough to understand.)


Taiwan Sun Biscuits: Sun biscuits (also known as ‘tai yang bing’) are very famous in Taiwan and the above box was brought back from there. (I’m not sure if they are available in Singapore.)



I cut a piece in half so you can see how it looks inside. It’s made from flour, sugar, shortening and maltose and it is YUMMY! The filling is made from maltose. It’s not overly sweet nor is it too sticky. But what I really like is the ‘skin’ of the biscuit. It’s flaky with a hint of sweetness. Actually, I can just eat the ‘skin’ alone! Shortening is present in Sun biscuits though. I’m not a big fan of this ingredient because it contains trans fat. So if I want to eat a trans-fat free version, I will have to experiment in my kitchen and make some myself!

Question from readers:

Thank you for sharing your recipes in the hard and soft copies. After reading your recipes on the internet I decided to buy 2 of your books as those are the things that interest me.
So far, I've baked the kueh baulu, pineapple tarts and kueh bangket. The pineapple tarts are quite good. I think I still need to improve on them. The kueh bangket are edible. My first batch is ok, but I thought the dough is dry as they crack up when I rolled it. So for the 2nd batch I added water and of course it was a disaster. It turned out hard. I will try again tomorrow.
The kueh baulu was very chewy. What do you mean not to over mix? I think that was what I did. But when do I stop mixing the flour and egg mixture?
However, the most disastrous one is the Kok Zai. I'm in the midst, now trying to make it. My first batch of dough, was too soft. It keep getting stuck to the board. I added flour but still not ok. So I make another batch slowly following the recipe step by step for maybe I had made a mistake.
I added 8 tbspn of oil to the flour. I mixed them into a dough then I add water to it 1 tbspn at a time. The dough gets stuck to the board so I tried rolling a small portion at a time. I managed to cut one round shape and gently lifted it up, but when I folded it, cracks appeared. Now I understand why people say that it is very hard to make Kok Zai. But i'm not going to give up. Please advise. Thank you.


Thank you for your interest in my books.
For dry kueh bangkit dough, the remedy is to add more coconut milk, rather than water. Water is considered a 'strengthener' in cookie baking and thus it makes cookies tough and crunchy. Adding coconut milk to a dry bangkit dough will definitely solve the problem of 'cracks'.
Overmixing a cake mixture will cause the cake to turn out tough and rubbery-tasting. This is because the more times flour is mixed in liquids, the stronger and more elastic the gluten in the flour becomes. The cake mixture should be mixed till JUST combined. Do not mix till very smooth. A few little lumps here and there is fine. When I first started baking, I was overzealous and overmixed everything because I thought that was the way to do it. But I learnt quickly that overmixing is an absolute no in baking.
Kok zai is actually quite easy to make once you get the hang of it. If your dough keeps getting stuck to the board, dust some flour on it. If the dough is too dry, add a little oil or water to it. If it is too wet, add some flour. Adjust the ingredients till the dough is 'nice' to roll and easy to cut. If the dough cracks when you fold it, knead it a bit longer to make it a little more 'elastic'.
Don't give up on making kok zai. You will definitely succeed one day. Trust me, it really isn't difficult to make. My family loves kok zai and I make it for them because I don't want to buy the commercially made ones. Because kok zai tastes best when just fried or when eaten within a few days. .

6 comments:

Min said...

Hi Oi Lin, just saw your youtube videos..thanks and I'll take the time to read all your post here. Are your books available in KL ?

Oi Lin said...

Dear Min, my books are not avilable in KL. However they can be bought at the Boostprints publisher's website at www.boostprints.com and mailed to you in KL. Thank You!

lin said...

hi, do you know where i can buy instant pudding mixes?

thanks and your blog is great!

Oi Lin said...

Dear Lin,
Thanks for your kind comment!
I saw instant pudding mixes at Fairprice Finest at Bukit Timah Plaza the other day. It was displayed at the corner of the aisle, near the packets of flour.
Regards, Oi Lin

Cookie said...

Hi OiLin

May I check with you if it is possible to just add vegetable oil to the cookie premix instead of butter?

Thanks
Cookie

Oi Lin said...

Hi Cookie,
I've not tried using vegetable oil in this recipe, so I'm not too sure about the effect. My guess is that the cookies will probably turn out quite hard.